A couple of months ago my fancy clock radio went on the fritz. I blogged about it here.
I sent it back to Cambridge Soundworks in Massachusetts for repair, via FedEx. And waited.
Finally, two days ago a box was delivered to me from Cambridge Soundworks, containing my radio. Oddly, in the box with the radio was also a cardboard envelope with a CD of some kiddie music or something. And when I plugged it in to check it out, none of the radio station presets were the same as they used to be. But I didn’t have much time to spend messing with it, and it seemed to work OK.
A few minutes ago, intending to flatten the shipping box and take it out with the rest of the recyclables, I pulled the shipping document out of the plastic sleeve on the outside. And read it. I noticed that although I’d given them my correct phone number, they had garbled it on the paperwork.
Then I read the description of the repair: “removed and returned 1 CD unit”.
Huh? The CD and radio on my unit worked just fine; it was all the clock and timing functions that were haywire. (I think that static electricity had fried those circuits.)
Uh-oh. I fetched my records, which include the serial number of my radio, then looked at the back of this one. Not a match.
They sent me somebody else’s radio. One that had been sent in for repair with a broken CD player – which still had a CD in it, and which they carefully packed up and sent along with the radio. To me.
I’ll call their customer service line tomorrow. This could be a fun conversation. Because I am *not* spending another dime to send anything to anybody after the co$t of shipping my radio by FedEx and the $65 repair fee.